Adobe has enabled many of us to kick the tires on Adobe Firefly and their generative AI tools. Now it’s available for use for all Creative Cloud users. But there are price changes coming.
Adobe Firefly has been available in beta testing for several months. Now, all Creative Cloud users can use it. Many of us photographers have been testing some of Adobe Firefly’s capabilities through a beta version of Photoshop that included Firefly’s Generative Fill and Generative Expand capabilities.
The new shiny Photoshop 2024 (Version 25)
Few features in Photoshop have been anticipated, discussed, and debated as much as Generative Fill and Generative Expand. It’s now here, with the latest version of Photoshop 2024 (Version 25.0). This includes Generative Fill and Generative Expand, both fueled by Firefly.
The big question you have
If you have used the beta version of Generative Fill and Generative Expand, you are no doubt wondering: does it still produce low-resolution above 1024 pixels? Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Sadly, yes. This was, of course, the first thing I tested. Adobe says that they will offer higher-resolution images in the future (but this will come at a price…more on this later). Otherwise, the work-around is to keep creating “quiltwork patches” that are below 1024 pixels across.
Firefly also encompasses a variety of AI-based tools. This includes Text to image, Generative Fill and Text Effects. It can be used as a standalone web application, which is how many of us were introduced to Firefly specifically. It’s also now included in Illustrator and Adobe Express.
Creative Cloud Pricing Changes
You knew this was coming, didn’t you? Adobe has also announced that it is increasing its pricing for Creative Cloud subscription service beginning 1st of November 2023. This is for North America, Central America, South America, and Europe. There are no changes in pricing outside these areas.
Creative Cloud for individual Single App Plans, now include Generative Credits, Adobe Express and Adobe Firefly
- USD$2 increase for the annual billed monthly option
- Previously USD$20.99, will be USD$22.99 per month
- USD$3 increase for the month-to-month option
- Previously USD$31.49, will be USD$34.49 per month
- USD$24 increase for the annual prepaid option
- Previously USD$239.88, will be USD$263.88 per year
Creative Cloud for Individual All Apps Plan, now includes Generative Credits, Adobe Express and Adobe Firefly
- USD$5 increase for the annual billed monthly option
- Previously USD$54.99, will be USD$59.99 per month
- USD$7.50 increase for the month-to-month option
- Previously USD$82.49, will be USD$89.99 per month
- USD$60 increase for the annual prepaid option
- Previously USD$599.88, will be USD$659.88 per year
Creative Cloud for Teams, now includes Generative Credits, Adobe Express and Adobe Firefly
- USD$2 increase for Teams single app plans, including Pro Edition
- Previously USD$35.99, will be USD$37.99 per month, per license
- USD$5 increase for Teams All Apps plan, including Pro Edition
- Previously USD$84.99, will be USD$89.99 per month, per license
Creative Cloud for Enterprise and Reseller Plans, now includes Generative Credits, Adobe Express and Adobe Firefly
- Changes to plans for enterprise will vary based on the terms of each membership, and an Adobe account representative is available to help customers understand changes to your plan. Team and Enterprise customers who purchased software through a reseller should contact their reseller organization for more information.
And now for some good news
Some Creative Cloud plans are not increasing in price on the 1st of November 2023. You may be happy to know that if you have the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, it will not increase.
- No changes to Creative Cloud plans for students, teachers, and educational institutions.
- No changes to Adobe Acrobat plans, Adobe Stock plans, Adobe Substance plans, Creative Cloud Photography Plans and Adobe Express plans.
- No changes to mobile plans.
- No changes to countries outside of North America, Central America, South America and Europe.
And now back to something that might cost more
You want to know about credits. Specifically, generative credits. Similar to the Midjourney model, Adobe will now allow you so many Generative Credits each month. Once your “supply” is gone, you will need to purchase more credits. The Creative Cloud Photography Plan allows for 250 monthly generative credits if you subscribed to the plan prior to November 1 2023, and 100 if you subscribe after that date. Want to know more about pricing for generative credits? Of course you do. Click here.
Oh, and remember that I said that Adobe would offer higher-resolution generative AI features in the future, including Generative Fill and Generative Expand? This does come at a price. And that price will be the number of generative credits consumed.
And you can be sure that I will use some of my generative credits to continue reporting about all this just for you, dear reader.
If you have opinions about AI-generated art, Generative Fill, using AI to expand the borders of images with Generative Expand, the new pricing scheme, generative credits, or where to get the greatest tacos, please leave them in the comments.